Thanks to megasites like Amazon and Barnes and Noble, many wannabe writers are turning to self-publishing to realize their dreams. They donít have to wait for large publishing houses to dole out contracts to them. Not only can they self-publish their books very easily, they get to keep most of the profits as well. And the kicker is, they donít have to sell nearly as many copies to make a good living.
One example of this is freelance writer Yuwanda Black, the publisher of InkwellEditorial.com, a website that teaches others how to become successful freelance writers. When asked how and why she managed to publish 50 ebooks on Amazon in just 12 months, Ms. Black responded:
Iíve been writing and selling ebooks online since 2004. Once Amazon made it so much easier to self-publish, I quickly realized the revenue potential and jumped on the bandwagon. I published my first ebook on the site in December 2010, and got my first sale a few days later.
After experiencing this success, I was hooked because I knew that it just a matter of writing and publishing more ebooks to learn more money. So, I set a goal to do just that and in 2011, I published 50 ebooks in one year. My earnings are increasing and within 24 months, I fully expect to be earning in the mid-four to low five figures per month.
If you want to write and sell ebooks online, itís easier than ever to do so. Following are the exact steps to take.
How to Self-Publish Your Ebook on Amazon: 5 Simple Steps
1. Write: Many wannabe writers never even get past this step. So, set a timeframe within which you will commit to simply getting your book done.
2. Create a high-quality, professional ebook cover: Covers sell and too many self-published authors overlook this all-important step. Donít! FYI, itís very easy to create amazing, professional-quality covers using ebook cover creation software. There are many affordable options available. Simply conduct an online search for some good ones.
3. Convert file using Mobi software: This is just a software that converts your file from MS Word, for example, into the type of file it needs to be in order to upload it to Amazon. FYI, this software (Mobi) is free.
4. Write a detailed description page: This is the page that tells potential buyers what your ebook is all about. It is a critical selling tool Ė one too many self-published authors donít take full advantage of. On Amzaon, you get approximately 4,000 characters for this page; use as many of them as you can. Donít skimp here.
5. Upload to Amazon: Once your file is converted, all you do is upload it via Amazonís interface. This is one step Ė extremely easy! Thatís it. It only takes about a day (if youíre in the U.S.) for Amazon to make your ebook live on the site so customers can buy it.
Selling Ebooks Online: The ďSecretĒ to Making Money
The above five steps are easy because once theyíre done, they're done. "Promoting your ebook Ė the not-so-secret ďsecretĒ to how to make money selling ebooks -- is where the real work comes in, for it's a never-ending process. But, itís what leads to sales.
About the Author: Yuwanda Black has self-published over 50 ebooks, which can be found on Amazon. Learn more about selling ebooks in "SELLING EBOOKS ONLINE: How I Published 50 Ebooks on Amazon in One Year Ė- And You Can Too!" Also, you'll find free info on how to write an ebook, self-publishing -- and more -- by clicking on the "Ebook Publishing/Writing" link on every page of InkwellEditorial.com.
Learn more Yuwanda via her Google+ Profile.
Keywords used in this article: selling ebooks, selling ebooks online, sell ebooks, self-publishing